In this episode, Andrew visits with Caitlyn Kano, Executive Director of Compass Catholic. They discuss how we can be generous to our specific capacity and not a perceived capacity of giving. They talk about how even though 10% tithing is a fantastic goal, we are still called be to be stewards of the other 90%. And that once we unite our financials and our faith, we can answer yes to what God calls us to without hesitation.
Caitlyn Kano is the Executive Director of Compass Catholic Ministries. She is local to Las Vegas, a military spouse of 17 years, mother of 4 children. When her oldest was 1 year, she was ready to do something more and began to volunteer with a non-profit. Over the years, she began to feel a disconnect between her work and her faith and felt called to tie the two together. Two years ago she reached out to Compass Catholic and began working on a money coaching ministry. In March of 2020 she was invited to become the Executive Director.
In this episode, Andrew speaks with Stan Guimont, Account Manager with Palmer Non-profit Communications, a commercial direct mail provider that works with the general non-profit world. Stan has been an account manager with Palmer since 2005. As an air force veteran, Stan began working in advertising in the mid eighties, then spent some time as a radio account executive. He then worked for a publishing company whose clients were mostly non-profits. Stan has found a fulfilling career with Palmer using his creativity and natural sales ability to help his clients. He demonstrates a deep and genuine care for his clients and their needs and provides a wealth of knowledge about direct mail best practices.
David Pederson has been the Director of Development for the Catholic Community Foundation for the Diocese of Phoenix since 2013. He has worked in development for over ten years at multiple Catholic campus ministries and the Diocese of Phoenix. In this episode, Andrew and David explore the basics of planned giving: What is it? What types of gifts are made in this type of giving? As well as how to approach donors about planned giving and how to begin a program like that at the Catholic Community Foundation for the Diocese of Phoenix. David offers practical advice for the development professional wanting to explore planned giving as an option for future growth of their ministry.
By David Pederson, Director of Development, Catholic Community Foundation for the Diocese of Phoenix
Many times in a smaller organization we think a planned giving program is saved only for large universities and hospital systems with what seems like limitless financial and staffing resources. One can only dream of having the capacity to take on such a thing. However, there is a place for a program that highlights ultimate gifts in any size organization.
To get started, remember what you already know. As a development professional, you already know about forming meaningful relationships and how to talk to people about supporting your mission. The next part is to get familiar with some of the nuts and bolts as well as expanding your reach through a network of professional advisors.
First, look online at organizations with successful programs and read about the different types of gift options available. Many times, you can start your search at your local Catholic...
Q&A with Andrew Robison, president of Petrus Development
Andrew Robison, president of Petrus Development sits down and answers some questions about his new role and his vision for the future of higher-ed fund development.
What is the most important role of Petrus?
Petrus Development exists for one major reason: to help our organizations raise more money so they are better equipped to offer more ministry and bring more people to Christ. The organizations that we work with are good organizations doing good work. They are run by good people with hearts for Christ and for the Church. Our role is very simple. We want to help them hire passionate people with the potential to become great fundraisers and then train and equip those people to lead their development programs to new heights. I believe that we can provide inspiration and information to help our clients create a vision for greatness, possibly visions that they’ve never even imagined. But that is not enough, we must...
"In a conference, what I'm really looking for is the practical TOOLS on how to do your job well and the MOTIVATION to go out and be ready to get back to work. I've gotten both of those things from Petrus. I'm really excited to get back home and HUSTLE and really put my all into it."