Posted: October 2021
Damascus is growing! We are in the process of strategic preparation for massive expansion to our Ohio campus as well as moving forward with building additional camps across the country and planting new Damascus Chapters in specific regional locations. We are seeking a leader and strategist with the capability of winning others over and articulating the vision and mission of a world-class ministry movement. This position will (1) set organizational fundraising strategy, (2) cultivate and solicitate major gifts around the country, and (3) lead a team of major gift officers. The Advancement Director is responsible for the long-term financial fundraising strategy for Damascus as well as managing annual fundraising efforts. They will grow a team of Major Gift Officers focused on soliciting major gifts for the expansion and growth of the apostolate. The Advancement team also secures corporate sponsorships, facilitates fundraising events, manages donor databases, oversees the annual fund, planned giving and grant writing. As the organization grows, statewide and national fundraising strategies will need to be created and implemented. The Advancement Director will be accountable for leading their team to reaching annual fundraising goals.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables:
- Set Overall Fundraising Strategy:
- Working with the Executive Director, develop annual fundraising goals and strategy for the national organization.
- Lead the promulgation of and execution of strategic fundraising priorities.
- After annual and long term vision has been developed, work with creative team and operations team to develop resources and materials to execute campaigns. Establish campaign committees as needed to drive Capital Campaign success.
- Cultivate and solicit major gifts around the country
- Identification: Identify prospective donors from the Damascus community as well as new prospective donors outside the Damascus community, statewide and nationwide. Strategically network with groups where donors can be fostered, i.e. Legatus, Knights of Columbus, Knights of Malta, Serra Club, etc.
- Cultivation and Solicitation: Prepare and execute appropriate solicitation of gifts driven by annual goals.
- Lead a Team of Major Gift Officers and additional Advancement Staff and Volunteers
- Coach and lead to success a team of Major Gift Officers located regionally across the United States. Set cadence of meetings, accountability, and benchmark goals. Currently, the team is small. As the organization grows, this team will also grow.
- Work with Advancement Manager to grow the annual fund and increase stewardship.
- Work with Missionaries and Volunteers to complete tasks with greater proficiency.
- Help enable regional volunteer campaign committees as strategy dictates.
- Oversee and help set annual goals for the team members responsible for annual events, donor recognition, and donor management.
- Oversee team members responsible for, and secure additional, corporate sponsors and grants.
- Build out a planned giving and legacy program.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has a deep passion for reviving the Catholic Church
- We are seeking someone who loves Jesus, and loves the Church. Do you feel a personal calling to have a greater impact in this phase of your career?
- Really, truly enjoys "sales" – has sales experience, ideally in a team-selling environment
- Traditional fundraising experience is not necessary – instead, we are focused on candidates who are dynamic storytellers, who are bold in asking for investments, and who keep following up until the results are in. Are you comfortable make bold and direct financial requests from individuals?
- Has a high level of persistence and drive
- We have real goals to meet and this person has to keep going after the goal (in a thoughtful way), despite roadblocks and rejections. This person needs to lead others to accomplish the goal as well. You will encounter setbacks, can you think through new strategies and gently plow through resistance maintaining hope and confidence?
- Has a contagious level of joy and optimism
- This is a person who can help cast vision and get people excited to join us on mission. Do you light up a room or a conversation with joy and passion, leaving people feeling better after the interaction?
- Enjoys leading others to succeed
- This person must be goal-centered and help a team reach goals together. Team members may be located around the country. Can you lead a team to major success even if located in different areas of the country?
- Willingness to work near Central Ohio
- This person will need to work weekly with the Executive Directors, Board of Directors, and National Staff in Central Ohio. They must also be willing to travel and work nights and weekends. Do you have the ability to be regularly present in Central Ohio?
Essential Requirements of the Advancement Director:
- Active, practicing, Catholic in good standing with the Roman Catholic Church. Possess clean BCI.
- Carries the Damascus Culture: We believe in raising the next generation to live the adventure of their Faith. We are Jesus-Center, Mission-Focused, Joy-Filled, Obedient, Toilet Plungers.
- Possesses a high level of organizational and time-management skills; ability to multi-task.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability in developing and cultivating personal and professional relationships with a variety of age groups
- Capable of speaking passionately and convincingly in front of a crowd and in a one-on-one.
- Carries a sincere, authentic and trustworthy disposition; listens with a sensitivity to others passions.
- Familiarity with CRM systems, content marketing, tax deductions, estate gifts and planned giving.
Send us a resume to [email protected] along with a 1-3 minute video explaining why you are excited about this position and why we should be excited about you joining our team.
Resumes without a video will not be considered for the position. The video can be shot from a phone, no editing is needed.