Posted: April 2021
St. Luke University Parish
St. Luke University Parish is seeking a full time Director of Development to lead and manage the direction, planning and execution of fundraising and development activities for the parish, particularly in its role as the Catholic campus ministry for the Allendale campus of Grand Valley State University. This position facilitates the identification, cultivation and solicitation of prospects for major and planned gifts. The Director of Development is responsible for planning and implementing all fundraising strategies. This will include, but is not limited to: annual fund, major gifts, planned giving, capital campaigns, grant applications, and corporate and foundation fundraising.
- Active, practicing Catholic.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Marketing, Business, Communication, Non-Profit Management or another related field preferred.
- Computer Skills: Proficiency using Microsoft Office and Google Forms and other database programs. Aptitude for learning and using other systems. Proficiency with social media outlets.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable means of transportation.
- Ability to manage a marketing operational budget.
- Must be able to understand and to comply with the Diocese of Grand Rapids Code of Conduct.
- Must be able to complete successfully the Diocese of Grand Rapids Child Safety Training (Virtus).
- Background screening required.
Skills and Abilities
- Passion, enthusiasm and an affinity for the mission of the Catholic campus ministry, and the ability to effectively communicate it via marketing efforts.
- Commitment to continuous learning.
- Thoroughness in planning and implementing work, including goals, timetables, and formulating action steps to achieve objectives.
- Ability to be flexible, work independently on a variety of projects, within stated deadlines.
- Effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to work with staff, students, donors and potential donors, volunteers and vendors.
- Flexible schedule; normal working hours consist mostly of weekdays, with some evenings and weekends.
- Occasional overnight travel and long-distance driving.
- Safeguard sensitive information
Organization Duties and Responsibilities***
- Prepare annual plans for all fund development activities. Develop and maintain a three-year plan for the development program which is updated annually.
- Responsible for all matters related to the execution, management, and support of the fund development program.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and close gifts. Maintain an active pool of prospective benefactors who can support the organization.
- Conduct a minimum of ten (10) face-to-face visits monthly with potential benefactors in the form of Discovery, Cultivation, Solicitation or Stewardship meetings.
- Assist in scheduling, coordination and follow-up of face-to-face visits for the pastor.
- Supervise the stewardship process, including prompt gift acknowledgement, for all benefactors.
- Prepare reports as appropriate and submit to the pastor.
- Plan and supervise direct mail, special event, and other solicitation activities as needed.
- Plan and supervise the production and distribution of newsletters, brochures and other marketing materials in support of the organization.
- Manages and updates online donor database regularly.
- Sends acknowledgement, thank you, and end-of-year tax letters to donors.
- Assists with the execution of special events for St. Luke University Parish, which could include benefactor dinners and receptions, tailgates, guest lectures and other development special events.
- Attend monthly finance council meetings.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Director to include special projects to assist in the overall fund-raising efforts.
*** Please note that as this is a new position, duties and responsibilities will be re-evaluated in a year and may be subject to change.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and list of references to:
Fr. Bill Vander Werff
St. Luke University Parish
10144 42nd Avenue
Jenison, MI 49428