Posted: January 2021
The Archdiocese of Denver (AOD) is seeking a passionate and dynamic person to serve as a Major Gift Officer (MGO) to promote and extend the mission of Christ’s Church in Northern Colorado. The MGO is called upon to share and articulate the vision and needs of AOD ministries and invite donors to support archdiocesan ministries. The MGO serves an influential role by connecting donors with more than 40 different ministries/programs. Your efforts will make a lasting and meaningful impact on the Catholic Church and the entire Northern Colorado community. We need your passion and energy as we encourage the people of Northern Colorado to embrace and advance the mission of our important ministries.
Reports to the Director of Mission Advancement
Mission Advancement Office:
The AOD Mission Advancement Office secures funds for more than 40 different ministries around the Archdiocese. The Mission Advancement Office (MAO) is led by the Chief Development Officer (CDO). The CDO leads a highly professional team that secures funds for both immediate and longterm needs of the Church. The MAO operates on a shared services model where development efforts are coordinated across multiple ministries and departments. Development activities include major gifts, direct mail, events as well as support functions such as prospect management, database management and donation processing. The MAO supports a myriad of ministries and programs including but not limited to:
- Seeds of Hope (Catholic school scholarship fund)
- Office of Catholic Schools
- St. John Vianney Theological Seminary
- Redemptoris Mater Archdiocesan Missionary Seminary
- Prophet Elijah House (retired clergy home)
- Centro San Juan Diego (Hispanic Ministries)
- Archbishop’s Catholic Appeal
The Major Gift Officer will be responsible for building and advancing meaningful donor relationships across a dedicated donor portfolio. The MGO will work in collaboration with multiple ministries and AOD departments to craft fundraising strategies.
Fundraising and Donor Management
- Works closely with the Director of Mission Advancement, CDO and various Ministry leaders to develop and drive fundraising strategies that address immediate and long-term fundraising needs.
- Collaborates with the Director of Mission Advancement in the preparation of annual fundraising projections, including the creation of individual work plans/targets.
- Manages a portfolio of approximately 150 donors and actively solicits and closes gifts of $5,000+ to advance archdiocesan and ministry priorities. Works closely with AOD, Ministry, and church leadership to effectively, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors toward increased level of giving.
- Develops and builds thoughtful donor stewardship and donor retention strategies for individual portfolio.
- Attends and supports AOD events (approximately 20/year) to ensure appropriate donors are included in various events (fundraisers, stewardship and informational sharing). As needed, support in event planning meetings to ensure that there is seamless coordination from events and major gifts teams.
- Coordinates with the Director of Campaigns to support annual appeal/direct mail efforts.
- Collaborates with Ministry leaders and MAO senior staff to develop, create, and edit materials for promoting the work of the AOD and its ministries as needed.
Leadership and Coordination
- Communicates vision, strategy, and specific initiatives internally to executive and other internal stakeholder audiences, as well as externally to donors. This may include representing AOD at key industry events and with donors and influencers.
- Attends board meetings, events and periodic planning meetings with various ministry partners as needed.
- Collaborates with other MGOs to develop thoughtful donor strategies, report out on success/learnings and document best practices within the department.
- Coordinates with the appeals team to help with the successful rollout of appeals including the Archbishop’s Catholic Appeal and the Annual Seminaries’ Appeal.
- Collaborates with the Prospect Research and Database Manager regarding donor cultivation, population of database.
- Prepare annual fundraising projections, including the creation of work plans with targets, objectives and goals for the assigned ministries of existing and prospective donors.
- Prepares regular reports on impact of development efforts.
- Keeps track of crucial development issues and develops long-term strategies and plans.
- Systematically and consistently utilizes donor software (Raiser’s Edge and other programs) for capture of donor information (including meetings, asks and other correspondence).
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required, Advanced Degree preferred (MBA, MPA) or related field.
- 10+ years successful experience in fundraising, sales or equivalent
- Be a fully initiated Catholic in the communion of the Catholic Church and intentionally living out the five precepts of the Church (CCC 2041-2043);
- Refrain from promotion or approval of, or the living out of, any conduct or lifestyle that would reflect discredit or disgrace on, or cause scandal in relationship to, the Archdiocese of Denver, or considered to be in contradiction with Catholic doctrine or morals;
- Ability to present ideas in a cogent, understandable and compelling manner both orally and in writing;
- The ability to respect confidences when dealing with sensitive issues;
- Valid driver’s license required
How to Apply:
Please use this link to apply: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=15178&clientkey=49347484A222281483E41DC79E4C7BCB