Director of Development - Catholic Center at Tulane University
Posted Dec 11, 2017
Development Director – Catholic Center at Tulane University
The Development Director reports to and works closely with the Chaplain (Director) of the Catholic Center and leads and manages fundraising activities including annual giving, appeals & newsletters, major gifts for special projects (e.g., endowment, building maintenance fund), directs marketing and communications, and builds and manages the Tulane Catholic advancement council. Primary responsibilities and relationships with others in the institution are outlined below.
- Reflect and embody the mission of the Catholic Center and abide by the policies and procedures of the Archdiocese of New Orleans and Tulane Catholic.
- Responsible for all development efforts. Maintain an annual development plan.
- Identify, cultivate, ask and obtain gifts to support the mission of the Center. Annual operations budget for the mission of the Center is approximately $400,000. Steward donors (i.e., promptly acknowledging any gifts), build and maintain an active group of current and prospective benefactors.
- Continue efforts to complete the current Capital Campaign—steward donors to finish remaining pledge payments and identify and cultivate new donors for capital projects.
- Conduct at least 20 face-to-face visits monthly with potential benefactors through discovery, cultivation, solicitation or stewardship meetings. This includes travel outside of the New Orleans area.
- Assist in scheduling and coordinating face-to-face visits between the Director/Chaplain and benefactors.
- Meet weekly with the Chaplain and provide regular reports.
- Plan and supervise direct mail (newsletters, appeals), marketing, communications materials (print, online), phone-a-thon, special event, and other solicitation activities as needed. In conjunction with other office staff and student volunteers, manage the use of electronic and social media accounts, website, and email lists to encourage loyalty and support for Tulane Catholic.
- Supervise volunteers or staff involved in fundraising. With the Chaplain, continue to build and maintain an active fundraising advisory board (Advancement Council, started in 2016).
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Chaplain to include special projects to assist in the overall fundraising efforts.
- Occasionally work during weekend and evening hours to carry out these duties, including maintaining a regular presence at Sunday Masses at the Catholic Center.
Undergraduate degree or higher.
Has knowledge of fundraising principles, preferably with experience in fundraising. Seeks to learn and continually improve skills. Experience with Raiser’s Edge software is preferred.
Enjoys building sustainable relationships and maintains a professional and mature attitude. Is enthusiastic, works collaboratively with staff, students, volunteers and related organizations (The Archdiocese of New Orleans, Tulane University, FOCUS, other campus ministries). Is comfortable with a fast-paced ministry in a small organization of 4-5 employees. Is open to nondevelopment
tasks that further the mission of the Center and gain support.
Has superb communication skills (written and verbal).
Is self-disciplined, detailed, determined and consistent. Plans ahead, anticipates, sets goals and priorities. Is able to manage and encourage others (volunteers, committees).
Is free to travel in order to identify, cultivate, and steward donors.
Is a practicing and faithful Catholic in good standing, who loves the Church and sees development work for Catholic ministry as an essential ministry. Believes in the Church’s mission and the urgency of Catholic college campus ministry.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with (have experience in) the following:
1. use of Raiser’s Edge software
2. Apple Computers / MacOS X
3. Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS)
4. Campus ministry (i.e., either work in a Catholic campus ministry or participation as a student).
5. Social media, website management & design, e-mail campaigns, and other marketing tools
How To Apply
Please, no phone calls. E-mail the following to Fr. Thomas Schaefgen, OP, chaplain, email@example.com with the subject line “Director of Development, Tulane Catholic”:
• cover letter
• salary requirements
• earliest date candidate could begin work
• names, addresses and phone numbers of 3 references familiar with the applicant’s work